Dedicated to the
Health and Welfare of All Cats
Call 201-275-0624
GIVE NOW Call 201-275-0624
Font Size

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

Commonly asked questions about the grant process

Grant-related FAQ
  1. Who can apply for a grant? Do you have to be a DVM?
    Applicants may be faculty veterinarians, post-doctoral fellows - DVM or non-DVM (PhD, PhD candidates, MD), practicing veterinarians or veterinary students. Applicants with a MS degree and are PhD candidates can apply for available New Feline Investigator Grant Awards. Applicants with a MS degree and are non-DVMs yet are in a scientific, animal-related field should contact the Winn Feline Foundation office about eligibility. Email
  2. Can principal investigators be from another country?
    Winn receives grant proposals from universities around the world, including Canada, Great Britain, Italy, Croatia and Brazil, to name a few. Winn is truly the only foundation exclusively funding cat health studies worldwide.
  3. Does Winn pay for salaries?
    Winn does not fund salaries of principal and co-investigators. Technical staff and support staff salaries can be included in the budget. The applicant(s) must provide an estimate on how much time each investigator will spend on the project, as well as their role. Indicate and justify a percentage effort on this grant for all individuals, such as technicians, graduate students, etc. for whom funds are requested. The ratio of salaries to total budget will be closely evaluated and an adjustment may be requested if considered too high.
  4. Does Winn pay for equipment?
    Winn does not fund major equipment expenditures. Smaller technical equipment or supplies necessary and justified for performing and completing the project can be included.
  5. What is the acceptable overhead for proposal?
    Winn does not fund indirect costs. GST or VAT added to the budget will not be approved.
  6. What can be included in the budget? Can time be included in the budget for graduate students? Can mileage for use of university-owned or private vehicles be included?
    Winn does not fund major equipment expenditures, travel, publication or indirect costs. Salaries, supplies and animal care costs not justified may be deleted from the budget. Time can be included in the budget for graduate students, but the amount requested will be closely evaluated. Mileage for vehicles can be requested in the budget but the amount requested will be closely evaluated.
  7. What is the earliest start date for a project? And are one-year projects favored over two-year projects?  Technically the project start date begins once the grant agreement is signed in final form.​ One-year projects are not favored over two-year projects though a timeline for each project is requested as part of the proposal. Projects beyond two years would be considered but require justification.
  8. Which investigators need to provide a Curriculum Vitae? All Principal Investigators and Co-Investigators should provide a CV.
  9. Are letters of support acceptable as an addendum to the proposal? Yes, letters of support can accompany the proposal as a pdf.​
  10. What is the deadline for grant submissions?
    Please check the grant calendar on our website. The due date for a particular grant review cycle will be posted. Grant proposals are due by 11:59 p.m. ET of the due date for that particular grant review. You may also refer to the “Call for Proposals” announcement that is electronically mailed to our researchers list. If you have further questions or wish to receive notifications, please email or call the Winn administrative office at (201) 275-0624.


Do you offer additional assistance and information on grant writing, study design and templates.
Please check under the Application Forms drawer table on the Grant Process page for downloading our informational checklist and templates assisting researchers in grantwriting and applying for a Winn grant.


Medical-related questions
  1. What medical advice can Winn offer to help my cat?
    Winn is unable to offer assistance regarding a medical diagnosis or treatment involving someone’s beloved cat. We recommend you contact your veterinarian for medical advice or your local/state veterinary association for advice in locating a veterinarian who can best assist you.
  2. Based on Winn research, is the foundation familiar with certain medications or treatments?
    Winn does offer expert cat health information resulting from published cat health studies. Please use the search function on our website, follow our Cat Health Blog or view informational resources such as our Cat Health Library and e- newsletter.
  3. Can Winn offer financial help in the treatment of a cat?
    Local communities, as well as local and state veterinary associations offer the resources to find necessary financial assistance. Many communities have developed programs to help people who are having difficulty providing medical care for their pets.